Check your Dodge!
Use the VIN decoder to check any Dodge VIN at no cost. Learn everything about a Dodge vehicle to get the most out of your used car purchase!
Don’t have a VIN? Find out where to locate your VIN number.
Everything you need to know about the Dodge VIN
What is a Dodge VIN?
The Dodge Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) is a 17 digit alphanumeric code. VIN codes are unique for every Dodge vehicle, which makes them a great way to learn about any car. The Dodge VIN tells you the vehicle’s specifications, such as the engine type, model, and more. Additionally, you can use it to access crucial historical data - ownership records, info about insurance events, and other useful details.
What does the Dodge VIN contain?
Every Dodge VIN consists of 3 different parts:
- Digits 1-3 contain the World Manufacturer Identifier (WMI). The WMI offers insight into the vehicle’s country of manufacture, brand, and manufacturer.
- Digits 4-9 are the Vehicle Description Section (VDS). This recounts the vehicle’s specifications, such as the engine, transmission, body type, model, etc.
- Digits 10-17 form the Vehicle Identification Section (VIS). This serial number uniquely identifies the specific Dodge vehicle.
Where to find it?
The Dodge VIN can usually be found on your car documents, such as the car title and insurance certificate. However, you will also find it on the vehicle itself:
- Look for it on the driver’s side of the dashboard, viewable from the outside of the car.
- Check the driver’s side door jamb, around the spot where the door connects to the body.
Open the hood of your Dodge and look on the engine block.