Check your Ford now!
Decode your Ford VIN for free with this powerful tool. The My Free VIN decoder is a great way to learn about a vehicle’s characteristics, history, and more. Don’t get blindsided by sellers!
Don’t have a VIN? Find out where to locate your VIN number.
Everything you need to know about Ford VIN
What is a Ford VIN?
Your Ford Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) is a unique 17-character alphanumeric code. It can be used to identify any Ford vehicle in the world. The Ford VIN not only tells you the specifications of your vehicle, but also its history - ownership history, accident history, archive photos, and more. If you’re about to buy a used Ford vehicle, reading its VIN is the best way to learn everything about it, including things the seller will not tell you.
What does the Ford VIN contain?
The 17-characters in a Ford VIN contain a lot of information about any vehicle:
- 1-3 characters (WMI). Indicates the country your vehicle was produced in, its manufacturer (Ford), and the type of vehicle.
- 4-8 characters (VDS). Indicates vehicle characteristics: engine type, size, transmission type, model, body type, and more.
- The remaining Ford VIN digits include a security digit (9), and a unique serial number (VIS) to identify the particular Ford vehicle.
Where to find it?
Usually, you will find your Ford VIN printed on your car:
- Look for the VIN plate on the driver’s side dashboard behind the windshield (view it from outside the car).
- You may find it on the driver’s side of the doorframe - open the door and look around the area where it connects to the body of the car.
- Occasionally, the Ford VIN will appear on the engine block beneath the hood.
Finally, the VIN is often printed on the car documents (insurance and registration title).