Check your Honda now!
Decode your Honda VIN at no cost with the My Free VIN tool. VIN information is a great way to learn about the characteristics and history of any Honda car or motorcycle!
Don’t have a VIN? Find out where to locate your VIN number.
Everything you need to know about the Toyota VIN
What is a Honda VIN?
The Honda Vehicle Information Number (VIN) is the fingerprint of any Honda vehicle in the world. This 17-digit alphanumeric code is the best friend of anyone buying a used vehicle. By reading the VIN you can confirm the details of a used car ad - are the specifications listed correctly? Most importantly, the Honda VIN unlocks important historical data, which will help you answer even more relevant questions, such as whether the vehicle has been stolen or in a serious accident.
What does the Honda VIN contain?
Every Honda VIN consists of 3 structural parts:
- World Manufacturer Identifier (digits 1-3). The WMI offers information about the vehicle’s country of origin, manufacturer, and vehicle type
- Vehicle Description Section (digits 4-9). The VDS shares important car characteristics - engine type/size, transmission type, etc.
- Vehicle Identification Section (digits 10-17). The VIS is the vehicle’s unique serial number
In addition to info encoded in the Honda VIN itself, the code can also be used to look up related information from government agencies, insurance agencies, and other institutions.
Where to find it?
You will find the Honda VIN on the vehicle itself:
- Step outside the car and look for a metal plate behind the windshield on the driver’s side
- Check the driver’s side door frame, around the area where it locks to the body of the car
- Underneath the hood - on the engine block or other parts
With no luck in the above locations, you may also find your Honda VIN on the car registration and insurance documents.