Check your Jeep now!
Enter a Jeep VIN into our free VIN decoder and learn about your vehicle. Jeep VIN info will tell you the vehicle’s characteristics and even crucial historical details.
Don’t have a VIN? Find out where to locate your VIN number.
Everything you need to know about the Jeep VIN
What is a Jeep VIN?
The Jeep Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) is a 17-character alphanumeric code, uniquely identifying each Jeep vehicle in the world. Jeep VIN details are great when you’re searching for the right spare part or investigating a used vehicle. The VIN will not only tell you a vehicle’s specifications, but it can also be used to look up data gathered by various government institutions (like the police or the DMV) or insurance agencies.
What does the Jeep VIN contain?
Every Jeep VIN comes in three parts:
- World Manufacturer Index or WMI (digits 1-3). Includes the vehicle’s country of origin, manufacturer, and vehicle type
- Vehicle Description Section or VDS (digits 4-9). Various vehicle characteristics, such as the engine size and type, transmission type, etc.
- Vehicle Identification Section or VIS (digits 10-17). Your Jeep’s unique serial number
Other than the information encoded in the characters themselves, the Jeep VIN can unlock data linked to the VIN.
Where to find it?
The Jeep VIN is usually found on the vehicle or related documents. Look for it on the:
- Metal plate on the driver’s side of the dashboard, viewable from the outside
- Driver’s door pillar, around the area where the door latches to the body of the car
- Engine block or other expensive parts (displayed to prevent cases of theft or fraud)
- Car registration or insurance certificate