Check your Mercedes now!
Decode your Mercedes VIN for free using the My Free VIN decoder. This powerful tool will spill all the secrets about any Mercedes vehicle’s specifications and history.
Don’t have a VIN? Find out where to locate your VIN number.
Everything you need to know about Mercedes VIN
What is a Mercedes VIN?
The Mercedes VIN is a unique identifier for all Mercedes vehicles in the world. It consists of 17 characters and is given to the vehicle by its manufacturer. Just as no two cars or motorcycles are alike, neither are Mercedes VIN codes. Because of this, the VIN is a powerful tool to gain information about any Mercedes vehicle you own or would like to purchase. Learn everything the seller isn’t telling you - specifications, accident history, and more.
What does the Mercedes VIN contain?
The letters and numbers of the Mercedes VIN code contain three identifiers:
- World Manufacturer Identifier (WMI). The first three digits indicate the manufacturer (Mercedes), the country of production, and the vehicle type
- Vehicle Descriptor Section (VDS). Vehicle specifications - type and size of engine, the brand, type of transmission, model year, and more
- Vehicle Identifier Section (VIS). The VIS is a serial number unique to every Mercedes vehicle.
Where to find it?
To find your Mercedes VIN, look for it printed on the car:
- Behind the windshield on the driver’s side of the dashboard. This is the first place to look. It is best seen from outside the vehicle.
- Driver’s side door jamb. If you can’t find it on the dashboard, the other most likely location is the area where the door connects to the body of the vehicle.
- Engine block. The Mercedes VIN may also be printed on other (more expensive) parts of your vehicle, such as the engine.
- Vehicle registration and insurance certificates also often carry the VIN.