Check your Ram!
The VIN decoder is the #1 way to learn about any Ram vehicle. Just enter your Ram VIN and learn all the important details!
Don’t have a VIN? Find out where to locate your VIN number.
Everything you need to know about the Ram VIN
What is a Ram VIN?
Every Ram truck in the world has a unique Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). This 17-digit code of letters and numbers is the signature of any Ram vehicle, offering lots of important information for anyone buying a used car. The Ram VIN will tell you where and when the car was made, as well as its characteristics (engine type, model, etc.). Not only that - the Ram VIN can also unlock the vehicle’s background, offering a way to ensure your Ram isn’t stolen or rebuilt from scratch.
What does the Ram VIN contain?
The Ram VIN can be divided into 3 parts:
- Digits 1-3 form the World Manufacturer Identifier (WMI), which tells you where the car was made, as well as its manufacturer and brand.
- Digits 4-9 contain the Vehicle Description Section (VDS). The meat of any Ram VIN, this reveals the car’s specs - transmission type, engine type, model, etc.
- Digits 10-17 are the Vehicle Identification Section (VIS) is a serial number that uniquely identifies the specific vehicle.
Where to find it?
Aside from the car documents (car title or insurance certificate), the Ram VIN typically appears on the car itself:
- While outside the vehicle, look for a metal plate on the driver’s side of the dashboard.
- Check the driver’s side door jamb, around where it latches to the body of the car.
- Look under the hood - particularly the engine block.