Check your Volkswagen now!
Don’t have a VIN? Find out where to locate your VIN number.
Everything you need to know about Volkswagen VIN
What is a Volkswagen VIN?
The Volkswagen VIN or Vehicle Identification Number is a unique 17-character code given to every Volkswagen vehicle. No two VINs in the world are identical, making it a great motor vehicle fingerprint. The Volkswagen VIN can be used to learn almost anything about a VW vehicle, from characteristics to history details (accidents, ownership, recalls, etc.). If you’re buying a used Volkswagen, always check the VIN - you never know what the car has been through.
What does the Volkswagen VIN contain?
Every Volkswagen VIN contains vital information about the vehicle:
- 1-3 characters. Known as the World Manufacturer Identifier (WMI), it indicates the vehicle’s country of production, manufacturer, and vehicle type.
- 4-8 characters. The Vehicle Descriptor Section (VDS) describes the characteristics of the vehicle - engine type and size, transmission type, body type, and so on.
- The final 9 digits include the security check and unique Volkswagen serial number.
Where to find it?
You will find your Volkswagen VIN printed on the vehicle or its insurance documents and registration title. Look for it:
- On the driver’s side of the dashboard, seen behind the windshield from outside the vehicle.
- On the river’s door pillar (jamb). The second most common VIN location is the area where the door connects to the body of the car.
- Expensive auto parts, such as the engine. To prevent the sale of stolen parts, the Volkswagen VIN will sometimes appear under the hood or elsewhere on the car.